- (1 1/2 lbs - 2 lbs) Ground Chicken (or Pork / or a combination of both)
- (4 teaspoons) minced garlic
- (1 teaspoon) salt
- (1 teaspoon) pepper
- (2) eggs
- (1 cup) panko breadcrumbs
- (1/2 teaspoon) paprika
- (1 teaspoon) onion powder
- FOR SAUCE
- (1/2 cup) hot sauce
- (1 cup) brown sugar
- (2 tablespoons) apple cider vinegar
- (1/4 teaspoon) salt
- (1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon) red pepper flakes - add more or less depending on how spicy you like it
1. Preheat your oven to 475 degrees and place 2 racks near the center.
2. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
3. Make your sauce first. Combine all the ingredients for the Firecracker Sauce over medium heat and allow to boil (hot sauce, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, salt, red pepper flakes). Then reduce to a simmer for 8-10 minutes. Remove the pan from heat and allow to cool.
4. Now let's make the meatballs!
Using a large bowl combine all your meatball ingredients (ground chicken, garlic, salt, pepper, eggs, panko, paprika, and onion powder). Mix together using your hands. Note: over mixing can create drier meatballs.
5. Using approximately 3 tablespoons of meatball mix, shape meatballs and place on the parchment lined baking sheets. Meatball size can be adjusted to your liking.
6. Bake for 11-13 minutes until completely cooked. If you're unsure if they're done you can use a meat thermometer to test the internal temperature. It should read 165 degrees.
7. Once cooked, using a skewer or fork, dip each meatball into the sauce and place back in the over for an additional 2-3 minutes. Alternatively you can brush the sauce over the meatballs.
Original recipe can be found at Little Spice Jar: http://littlespicejar.com/firecracker-chicken-meatballs/